Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits 1901-1921 database, currently contains 32,973 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible. permits.heritagevancouver.org
April 21: Tales from the West End
May 9: 2015 Top10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
June 27 & 28: Annual Gardens Tour
Shaping Vancouver: Conversations on the Heritage Action Plan >
Feb 27: Are Heritage Conservation Areas right for Vancouver?
April 16: What is Vancouver's Heritage?
May 27: What is Neighbourhood Character?
June 12: Our Main Streets
Tales from the West End:
Creating community with stories
Tuesday, April 21, 2014 ; 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Ongoing event, third Tuesday of every month
JJ Bean Coffee Roasters (Bidwell and Davie)
1209 Bidwell Street, Vancouver
Event is free, no registration required
'Tales from the West End' is an invitation to explore and experience our community through stories about our common past. The JJBean coffee shop is located in the original Maxine’s Hideaway, a West End landmark with many tales hidden in its walls, including illicit activities that add to the colourful folklore of the West End.
This is an opportunity to visit this renovated historic building, hear stories and tell your stories about the West End. Come and meet your neighbours and explore ideas to create community around the stories that contributed to creating our neighbourhood.
This event is free and is made possible by the Heritage Vancouver Society, Gordon Neighbourhood House, the Greenest City Fund, JJBean and WEArts.
2015 Top10 Endangered Sites – Bus Tour
Saturday, May 9, 2015; 1pm to 5pm
Tickets $40; Heritage Vancouver members $30
Meet at Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestnut Street
Climb aboard a Transit Museum Society (TRAMS) historic bus for an exclusive guided tour of Heritage Vancouver's 2015 Top Ten Endangered sites!
Since 2001, Heritage Vancouver has published this well-regarded list annually on the most endangered sites in Vancouver. It details in depth the threat to, the significance of, and our position on these at risk resources and is the product of countless hours of work by dedicated volunteers and staff. On the tour, you will visit all 10 sites on the list.
Well-respected author, heritage expert and consultant Donald Luxton will be the tour guide and he will fascinate you with stories and details of this year's endangered sites. The bus will stop at two selected sites and you will have the opportunity to have a conversation with community members.
Our 2015 list will be released late April, and you'll see and hear first hand, Vancouver's most threatened sites and issues surrounding the properties while riding along on a historic bus around town!
Please consider supporting our ongoing work on the Top10 list as well as our other initiatives to build a future for heritage in Vancouver by becoming a Heritage Vancouver member. Members enjoy a discounted rate!
Cheque payment option:
Made out to Heritage Vancouver Society and mailed to:
1020 Denman St., PO Box 47036 Denman Place, Vancouver, BC V6G 3E1
Please let us know if you've mailed a cheque at: email@example.com
PIBC 4.0 LUs of Organized/Structured CPL activity
AIBC Credits 4 Core LUs
Save the date – Heritage Vancouver
4th Annual Garden Tour
Sat/Sun June 27 & 28, 2015; 10am to 4pm both days
Tickets will be on sale:
Online end of April
In garden centres after May 22
A fundraiser for Heritage Vancouver – self-guided tour of private gardens. Once again we will feature a selection of eclectic private gardens, from compact small space creations to the grand and glorious and everything in between!
Tickets will be on sale online and in garden centres. Be sure to book the time in your calendar – this is a popular event with limited number of tickets available.
PHOTOS from some of our previous years: 2013 photos and 2012 photos
Past events – listing
• Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club
• Tales of the West End
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street