Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits 1901-1921 database, currently contains 27,825 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible. permits.heritagevancouver.org
Dec 11, 2013: AGM & Christmas Party
Jan 16, 2014: Secrets of the Historic Penthouse Nightclub tour
Mar 12, 2014: Evening at the Marine Building Penthouse
April 2014: TBD - 2014 Top 10 Endangered Sites Release & Bus Tour
Spring/Summer 2014: Walking Tours for 2014 - posted in the Spring
AGM & Christmas Party
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
AGM 6:30pm; Party 7pm to 9pm
Roedde House Museum, 1415 Barclay St. (West End)
Join Heritage Vancouver on Wednesday, Decemeber 11th for our Annual General Meeting and Christmas Party. This year's AGM which begins at 6:30pm will be governed by bylaws passed at our 2011 AGM. All members in good standing are entitled to vote.
After the AGM, we welcome members, friends, supporters, and anyone interested in finding out more about Heritage Vancouver to our Christmas Party from 7pm to 9pm.
This evening is an opportunity to celebrate the season with old friends and colleagues at the historic Roedde House Museum, which will be decorated for a Victorian style Christmas.
Come and bring your favourite appetizer or dessert and join in the festivities of the season. Wine will be provided. We will also have Christmas cards and books for sale.
Roedde House Museum: www.roeddehouse.org
Secrets of the Historic Penthouse Nightclub tour
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Doors 5:45pm; Tours 6:15pm & 7:15pm
Location: 1019 Seymour Street
Tickets: HVS Members $39; Non-members $49
Presented by Forbidden Vancouver, an unprecedented guided tour inside the Penthouse nightclub by owner Danny Filippone, author Aaron Chapman and ex-VPD cop Grant McDonald. Danny's father Ross and three uncles Joe, Mickey and Jimmy founded the Penthouse in 1947 and it's still a family-run business today. This is a one-of-a-kind event for anyone with a love of Vancouver's history.
On the January 16 Secrets of the Penthouse nights, proceeds go to Heritage Vancouver AND Heritage Vancouver members get a $10 discount on their tickets!
For full information and to book:
If you are unable to pay online, email firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative payment methods.
Evening at the Marine Building Penthouse
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 | 5:30pm to 8:00pm
Marine Building Penthouse, 2000 – 355 Burrard St.
Tickets: $100 donation to Heritage Vancouver
Includes wine and hors d’oeuvres reception
Tax receipts issued
Heritage Vancouver invites you to attend a Special Evening in the ultra-elegant, Jazz Age Penthouse of the Marine Building, “Vancouver’s Finest Heritage Building”. This is a unique opportunity to explore the two floors of the private Penthouse, enjoy the Art Deco atmosphere and the fabulous view, hear about its unique history and share your own personal experiences, stories and photos of the Marine Building.
Heritage Vancouver’s Past President Donald Luxton will lead tours of the lobby and mezzanine of the Marine Building and point out many of the building’s spectacular architectural features.
The Marine Building, which opened in 1930, was the landmark project of architects McCarter & Nairne. In 1933, A.J.T. Taylor, managing director of British Pacific, bought the building and built a lavish, Art Deco penthouse on the top floor, overlooking the city. A ride on the tiny elevator that connects the Penthouse with the 18th floor is a highlight of the evening.
The Penthouse has many of its original features still intact, and is currently the office of Urbanics Consultants Ltd., our generous host and sponsor for the evening.
Purchase your tickets early as there are a limited number of spaces for this exclusive event and it will sell out.
Via Paypal (account not required):
Made out and mailed to:
Heritage Vancouver Society
1020 Denman St., PO Box 47036 Denman Place,
Vancouver, BC V6G 3E1
If you are mailing a cheque please let us know email@example.com and we will hold a spot for you.
All proceeds support Heritage Vancouver’s initiatives to conserve Vancouver’s built heritage
A few of our past events
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street