Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, and recipient of the City of Vancouver 2015 Heritage Award of Honour, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits Database, currently contains online 34,729 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible, and volunteers for ongoing transcriptions! permits.heritagevancouver.org
Annual General Meeting and Christmas Party Social
Thursday, December 3, 2015 ; 6:30pm to 9:00pm
AGM 6:30-7pm; Social 7pm-9pm
Roedde House Museum, 1415 Barclay Street (West End)
Although it still might be a bit early to think about Christmas, we'd like you all to know this year's Annual General Meeting and Christmas Party Social have been set. We hope that you'll come out and join us at the historic Roedde House Museum to celebrate the season. A lot has been happening with the society this year particulary as it has been the year of the Heritage Action Plan. We'll fill you in on what's been going on and all the exciting things to expect from us for 2016.
This year's AGM, which begins at 6:30pm, will be governed by bylaws passed at our 2011 AGM. All members in good standing are entitled to vote.
After the AGM, we welcome members, friends, supporters, and anyone interested in finding out more about Heritage Vancouver to our Christmas Party from 7-9pm.
Come and bring your favourite appetizer or dessert and join in the festivities of the season. Wine will be provided.
Tales from the West End:
Creating community with stories
Tuesday, November 17, 2015
6:00pm to 7:30pm; Story telling begins at 6:30pm
Ongoing event, third Tuesday of every month
JJ Bean Coffee Roasters (Bidwell and Davie)
1209 Bidwell Street, Vancouver
Admission is free, complimentary coffee and tea thanks to JJBean
Tales From the West End" is an evening to explore and experience our community through stories about our common past. The event is held at one of Vancouver's intriguing historic sites, formerly known as "Maxine's Hideaway" and now home to a JJ Bean coffee shop. This West End landmark has many tales hidden in its walls. People are encouraged to listen, sketch and bring their own stories and historic photographs of the West End to share with the community.
This month Vancouver historian, sessional instructor of History at SFU, and tour guide Maurice Guibord is our featured story teller.
This event is free and is made possible by the Heritage Vancouver Society, Gordon Neighbourhood House, the Greenest City Fund, JJBean and WEArts.
First Shaughnessy District:
Proposed Heritage Conservation Area (HCA)
Update: The First Shaughnessy Heritage Conservation Area (HCA) was PASSED unanomously by Council September 29! We thank everyone who took the time to write in and/or present to Council.
We've created a booklet on the proposed HCA in First Shaughnessy, listed our points for and also compiled the arguments made against the HCA and have included our response.
First Shaughnessy HCA booklet (PDF):
Past events – listing
• Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club
• Tales of the West End
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street