Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits 1901-1921 database, currently contains 30,861 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible. permits.heritagevancouver.org
Christmas & Holiday gift certificates
Heritage Vancouver has some wonderful Christmas & Holiday gifts for your friends and family. Just make a donation, purchase event tickets, or a membership on our website and then send an email to email@example.com with the person's name and email address and we'll have a personalised gift certificate for them.
Donate via CanadaHelps >
Membership online >
Jan 22: Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club
Feb 11: Evening at the Marine Building Penthouse
Walking tours have finished for 2014
Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club: Heritage Vancouver evening
Thursday, January 22, 2015
Presented by Heritage Vancouver, Forbidden Vancouver, and The Penthouse Night Club
Tickets $49; HVS members $39
Includes cabaret show & Italian dinner
Doors open 5:30pm; two guides tours at 6pm & 7:15pm
Tickets on sale via link below
Forbidden Vancouver and Heritage Vancouver Society present, 'Secrets of the Penthouse' Thursday, January 22.
A unique guided tour inside the Penthouse nightclub by owner Danny Filippone, author Aaron Chapman and ex-VPD Grant McDonald.
If you've been to one of Heritage Vancouver Society’s Penthouse tours in the past, you're in store for something new!
Hear first hand from Grant McDonald, the retired VPD cop who raided the Penthouse in the 60's and 70's. Grant even worked undercover in the club to infiltrate crime bosses.
The price includes a guided backstage history tour, Italian dinner and live cabaret show by Cabaret Torlage, Vancouver's very own Moulin Rouge. Dinner is, of course, spaghetti and meatballs based on Mama Filipponi's original recipe and cooked by chef Manny.
More info and tickets available at Forbidden Vancouver
Heritage Vancouver members – at the link above, under '1. Participants', select the ticket amounts under 'Heritage Vancouver Member' for the discounted rate.
Evening at the Marine Building Penthouse
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Location: Marine Building Penthouse, 2000 - 355 Burrard Street
Tickets: $100 donation to Heritage Vancouver with tax receipt issued.
Includes wine and hors d'oeuvres reception
Heritage Vancouver invites you to attend a special evening in the ultra-elegant, Jazz Age Penthouse of the Marine Building, “Vancouver’s Finest Heritage Building”.
This is a unique opportunity to explore the two floors of the private Penthouse, enjoy the Art Deco atmosphere and the fabulous view, hear about its unique history and share your own personal experiences, stories and photos of the Marine Building. Heritage Vancouver’s Past President Donald Luxton will lead tours of the lobby and mezzanine of the Marine Building and point out many of the building’s spectacular architectural features.
The Marine Building, which opened in 1930, was the landmark project of architects McCarter & Nairne. In 1933, A. J. T. Taylor, managing director of British Pacific, bought the building and built a lavish, Art Deco penthouse on the top floor, overlooking the city. A ride on the tiny elevator that connects the Penthouse with the 18th floor is a highlight of the evening.
The Penthouse has many of its original features still intact, and is currently the office of Urbanics Consultants Ltd, our generous host and sponsor for the evening.
Purchase your tickets early as there are a limited number of spaces for this exclusive event and it will sell out.
All proceeds support Heritage Vancouver’s initiatives to conserve Vancouver’s built heritage.
Past events – listing
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street