Top Ten Endangered Sites
Top 10 2003 |
< Back |
The Beatty Street Drill Hall, built from 1899 to 1901 as the
headquarters of the B.C. Regiment, Duke of Connaught's Own
Rifles, is Vancouver's oldest surviving drill hall.
The structure, with its massive brick walls,
crenellated turrets and original interiors, is an A-listed
The Bessborough Armoury, a B-listed heritage
site, was constructed between 1931 and 1933, and was officially
opened by the Earl of Bessborough in 1934. This later structure
is reinforced concrete rather than brick, and features cast
Art Deco motifs.
Both the Beatty Street and Bessborough facilities
are threatened by federal plans to consolidate military reserve
operations in new utilitarian structures adjacent to the Seaforth
Armoury at First and Burrard. Both buildings retain their
historic military reserve functions. Maintaining the original
function is crucial not only to their historic significance
but ultimately to their survival — otherwise they risk abandonment,
decay, demolition, or at best conversion.
top of page